Triumph replaced its front wheel drive 1500 with the rear drive 1500TC in 1973. Despite industry trends of front wheel drive car design, British Leyland felt it best to protect the Triumph image of producing good quality cars with sporting tendencies. The "new" model used a twin-carb version of the 1493cc engine used in the previous 1500 model. Power was now much improved and the car had a top speed of over 90mph.
Externally little else had changed from the previous model, the 1500's well appointed interior also remained. The 1500TC remained in production until eventual replacement in 1976 by the Dolomite.