The first model in a long and distinguished line made its debut in 1958, the TVR Grantura. These attractive coupes were built by hand at the TVR factory in Blackpool, England with varying mechanical specifications. All cars featured a cocktail of Austin Healey brakes, VW Beetle suspension parts and rear axles which were also courtesy of the British Motor Corporation.
In 1960 a revised Grantura II arrived offering a number of improvements. The rear wheel arches now featured "blisters" similar to those found on the front arches and the tail styling was also modified. Mechanical refinements included front disc brakes plus the usual choice of MGA or Coventry-Climax engines. The model was developed further in 1961 when it became the Grantura IIA. This new version featured the 1340cc Ford Classic engine.