Launched by newly formed British Leyland at the end of the BMC 1800 ranges life the Wolseley Six first appeared in 1972. Mechanically identical to the Austin and Morris 2200 models the Six made use of the 110bhp, 2227cc six cylinder engine developed from the equally new E-Series unit used in the BL Maxi.
This new Wolseley version of the 2200 used the same bodyshell, which incorporated the traditional grille assembly and extra trimmings. Inside could be found the usual walnut facia treatment and luxury brushed Nylon seat facings. As could be expected, these large six cylinder cars provided comfortable, spacious accommodation and sold well until finally being discontinued in 1975.